Announcement: Firm Operations Continue Uninterrupted During the Coronavirus. Click here for more information

What Happens When You Don’t File For a Car Accident Report?

What Happens When You Don’t File For a Car Accident Report?

Whether you are on your way to work, school, or a social event. If you get into a car accident in Houston you are going to be frustrated. The last thing you want to do is wait around for cops to come or involve your insurance company, especially for a minor incident. Waiting for the cops could take hours and involving your insurance company could possibly heighten your insurance rate.


Why You Must Report the Accident to the Police

If the accident is minor, the other driver might suggest you exchange information and not call the police. Don’t fall for this.

Contact Information Exchanged May Not be Correct

First, there is no way for you to be sure that the information is correct, and by the time you find out it isn’t, it’ll be too late.

Required by Law to Report the Accident

Second, legally, you are required to report almost any car accident in Houston. Regardless of how minor the incident is, chances are, you are required to report it. If you decide not to report it, later on down the line if word gets out, you could actually be charged with a criminal offense. It is considered leaving the scene of an accident if you fail to report.


When Does Texas Law Require You to Report?

Accident Reporting Requirements

In Texas, if you are involved in a car accident, even a minor one, you have reported it to Texas authorities. Texas law requires that you report any accident that meets the following criteria:

  • Someone is injured or killed
  • Damages to the vehicle are at least $1000
  • You called the police, but they never arrived at the scene to fill out a crash report.

Fill Out Accident Report Yourself if you Don’t Call the Police

If you don’t call the police, you are required to fill out an accident report yourself. This means going to the city/town where the accident took place, and if the crash took place on the highway, going to the designated State reporting office. You’ll be given a form to complete and turn in. It may be a few days or weeks before you can get a copy for your own records.


Contact an Experienced Houston Car Accident Attorney

If you have been involved in a car accident you need to contact an experienced Houston car accident attorney. Call to speak with an experienced Houston car accident lawyer at Pusch & Nguyen Law Firm. Receive a free consultation to see what your case may possibly be worth.

By |2020-06-10T09:06:05+00:00May 2nd, 2020|Blog|
Call Now ButtonCall Now