A consultation is an introductory meeting between a potential client and a professional such as an attorney. It is intended as an opportunity to learn some details about the client’s situation and discuss working together. When having a consultation with a personal injury lawyer, you can talk about your case and find out about the attorney’s methods.
If you’re seeking legal help after being injured in an accident, scheduling a consultation can help to learn more about your lawyer before choosing to work with them. Showing up well-prepared is a great way to get the most out of this meeting while you discuss your case.
What Happens During a Personal Injury Consultation:
Most firms arrange consultations over the phone or online with a form. Once contact has been made, they will help you schedule a date and time for your consultation. In many cases, you can meet face-to-face at their office.
The purpose of the consultation is to give you the opportunity to ask questions and make sure that the lawyer is a good fit. A great lawyer will ensure that they get to know you and get a good understanding of your case. If you have any documentation, be sure to bring it along.
Best Questions to Ask:
Ensure your consultation with a personal injury lawyer is productive by preparing some questions before the meeting. Remember that you can always ask more questions as they come up, but having key topics prepared will help make the best use of your time. The following questions can help you find the best fit:
- What sort of experience does this firm have with cases like mine? While many different firms might be interested in your case, the best fit for you will have a strong background with cases like yours.
- How many cases like mine have you settled this year? A successful track record is the best evidence of a great personal injury lawyer. Be sure to find out how many cases won settlements this year and how long the firm has been in business.
- What portion of your cases are personal injury? When searching for a lawyer, it’s essential to find someone who has expertise in the area you need. Working with an attorney whose practice focuses on personal injury law ensures they have extensive knowledge of Chapter 101 of Texas Tort code and can navigate many types of cases related to your circumstances.
- Who will be handling my case? When looking for legal assistance, it is important to know what your relationship will be with the lawyer representing you. Make sure that whoever you meet with has a vested interest in your case and are willing to dedicate the time needed – communication is key. Don’t hesitate to ask how much of a role they’ll have in managing everything before deciding on who should lead this next chapter.
- How will communication be handled about developments about my case? Maximizing the chance of success in your case starts with finding an attorney who prioritizes you and stays communicative throughout the process. An essential question to ask potential counsel is how involved they plan on being, as it’s a great way to gauge their dedication.
- How will fees be handled, and will I be required to pay anything? It’s essential to understand your lawyer’s fee structure before signing up for their services. Taking time to ask the right questions in advance can have long-term benefits, particularly if you’ve been injured and are considering working with a personal injury attorney on contingency.